Sunday, July 7, 2013

Wakko and Waikiki Washington

When I finally got on the road and got down the hill, I checked my book to see about which fork in the road I should take.  That's when I noticed The Dock of The Bay restaurant. It looked more like a bar, but when Wayne and Lisa walked out, I asked how the breakfast was.  They said it was really good.  I decided to eat there before continuing.  We ended up chatting, and they mentioned a really good fish and chips place in Wakko  Turns out it Ilwaco, but the I and L are silent.


When I got inside, and found out the cheese was American rather than cheddar, I went for the Spanish omelette which had ground beef, grilled onion, peppers, olives which I asked then to hold, and tomatoes.  Turns out there were slices of processed cheese on it as well, but they were still good.  And the milk I ordered was served in a glass from a freezer.


When I looked around, there were people at the bar.  Perhaps the guys sitting there had just gotten off work, because at 9 in the morning, many of them were drinking beer.  Before I was done, almost every barstool was taken and guys were drinking beer and one guy a jack and coke.  The guy with the Jack and coke talked to a kid at a table with his parents and commented that he wasn't a man yet, but, "Someday he'll kick my ass!"  I could tell there might be a culture of brawling in this town.

There were some really cool homes, or rather, decorations outside people's homes.  I stopped often to take pictures.


I eventually got to Long Beach and Ilwaco.


At first I passed by Sea Breeze opting for the suggestion of a Long Beach variety store clerk, but I turned back and rode the mile back to hit Sea Breeze when I couldn't find anything in downtown Ilwaca.  



It was a good move.  Probably the best fish and chips I've ever had!!! And only $7.99.  For $9.99 the fish and chips were all you can eat!  Even the coleslaw was amazing!  It had a bite of horseradish.


A guy sat by himself at a 5 person table.  Actually, it was a 4 person table, but after one guy asked to join him, the table slowly filled up with friends.  



The decor of the place was do cheesy it was awesome.  By the time I was done, the place was packed!!!  On my way to camp I saw a deer up close and personal.  It was pretty friendly.


It crossed the road after I went by.  Nice of him to wait until I motored past.


I finally go to camp and really liked the hiker/biker site.  It was shared between me and and older German couple.  I set up away from them as the specified that I could set up anywhere, but not too close, bitte.  



Interestingly, the name of the beach which I explored was called Waikiki Beach.  It was very nice!


I rode up to an area where you could hike to see a lighthouse.  On the way up, I stopped by a car which seemed to be stalled, and had its hood open.  I figured the engine was flooded.  I asked the girl if she was comfortable going down the hill in neutral.  I told her to try turning the engine while coasting down.  I didn't see them when I abandoned the home to the lighthouse when it proved to be farther than my legs wanted it to be.

I said hi to some people who admired the Trike at the shop, and I bought a drink and a Cliff Bar to eat for a bit of carbo-loading.








No comments:

Post a Comment