Saturday, June 29, 2013

Slept in Seattle

Sat beside Mr. Hack-a-lot on the trip over.  He kept waving off tea which I don't usually drink but figured it would keep me from getting whatever was ailing him.


I thought I should take the light rail since I thought a cab would be thousands of dollars.  I double checked the best stop to get off at with the hotel on route and discovered I had paid less than required. Rookie mistake!  At least next time I visit I'll know what I'm doing.  Cabbing back to catch my shuttle, because I'm not all-the-way crazy.


When I got to my hotel, Ed informed me that I was upgraded to an oceanview because I was to polite on the phone.  Thanks for raising me right mom and dad! 


On my way out for dinner, I verified my choice with Amy and Mel at the front desk.  They asked about my San Diego or Bust T-Shirt and we got to talking.  They helped me decide my evening and was off to Shiro for Omakase!


I ended up taking to three people while eating!  Suzuki who said the picture if David Suzuki I showed him looked like his dad!  Suzuki had been amazing, and did some wonderful things for me. The picture is him holding a clam.


Then I spoke to Andreas from Mexico who lived in Seattle from L.A. and had daughters aged 12 and 14 camping north of Toronto by themselves.  And then Nicole who grew up in Mississauga of all places, but most of her life in the States. This is him looking at the camera when I took a picture of the line which grew steadily as I stood there for 45 minutes before they opened to secure a place.  The triplet Seattleites behind me were talking about dating.  Apparently there is a $500 service that guarantees a relationship within 12 months or you get another 12 months for free!  The girl who said it also shared she's upset Microsoft did not hire her.


Now, the Omakase was so incredible I had to go back to thd hotel to talk with Amy and Mel!  That's some clam! And Jaybird! I had Sea Urchin!!!  The ladies and I spoke for quite a while before I headed out on my Capitol Hill adventure.  As I write this, I realize I don't have a picture of Ed.  Next time brother!!!


With my belly full of tuna belly among other fish, I set off.  On the way I saw this great arch at their convention centre.  Take note Toronto!


I also saw some people play with an interactive car. Parked on the street! Seattle is a charming city to say the least!    


I finally made it to Elliott Bay bookstore which Amy advised I visit, and it was amazing.  Even though I didn't want to carry books with me, I had to buy my ACE queens and king tokens of my appreciation.  Ed said he would read his on his upcoming cabin trip in New Hampshire!


The Capitol Hill area was bustling and it seems I arrived on the Pride weekend.  There were lots of party people around.  It was the same vibe as Toronto Pride but without the nudity.  As I walked, a girl exclaimed, "San Diego or Bust!!! Woo hoo!"  I couldn't replicate her energy, but I managed a thumbs up before replying, "Right on! Happy Pride!"  To which she replied with another, "Woohoo!" But this time throwing her head down and arms up in the air!


After walking around and enjoying the energy, I was ready to head home.  But not before sampling Molly Moon's Homemade Ice Cream on Amy's advice!  I had Lavender Honey, Cherry Chunk and Scout Mint in memory of my Easterbrook's adventure.


I saw a guy on a longboard swayback and forth through red lights down the steep hill, followed a few minutes later by a bike going really fast as well.  They survived this time.



I took Pike St up to Capitol Hill and went down Pine St on my way back.  I was ready to sleep.  And I slept.  I was definitely not Sleepless in Seattle!


Huge shout out to Adrienne for her advice on ACE hotel!!!  I met some great people!  Will be returning one day.  Hope to see you then!  I'd love to experience your inside scoops one day!  Seattle definitely needs a solid amount of time to enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. You are awesome! We all thank you for the gifts you left us. Thanks for sharing your journey with us...good luck! -Amiee and Mel and Ed-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm home in Toronto! I was unable to respond to these via my phone for some odd reason, so I'm catching up now! Was great meeting you! Will see you the nest time I visit! And I will visit!!! Need to see Seattle better!

      Delete
  2. Soo glad you had a great time in Seattle, Adam! I'm sorry I bailed on you like a weinerhead. Next time for sure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Weinerhead! I will be visiting Seattle again! It remains the best sushi I've ever had and the city impressed me with its livability and high energy! Plus, I'm still dying to try your foodie recommendations!

      Delete